Data Science Minor for Statistics Majors
Students can major in Statistics and minor in Data Science.
Courses being used to fulfill the requirements for the Statistics major may not be used to fulfill the requirements for the Data Science minor.
Data Science Minor Requirements for Statistics Majors (6 units)
- 1 approved course that replaces the introductory course - In most cases, one quarter of the calculus that is necessary for the Statistics major will replace the introductory course requirement for the minor
- STAT 301-1 Data Science 1 (Fall quarter)
- STAT 301-2 Data Science 2 (Winter quarter, pre-requisite STAT 301-1)
- STAT 301-3 Data Science 3 (Spring quarter, pre-requisite STAT 301-2)
- STAT 302 Data Visualization
- 1 approved elective course relevant to the minor
Statistics Major Requirements (minimum 8 units)
- 1 introductory course*: STAT 202-0 Introduction to Statistics, STAT 210-0 Introductory Statistics for the Social Sciences, or STAT 232-0 Applied Statistics
- Required related MATH courses (https://www.statistics.northwestern.edu/undergraduate/major.html)
- STAT 320-1 Statistical Theory and Methods 1
- STAT 320-2 Statistical Theory and Methods 2
- STAT 320-3 Statistical Theory and Methods 3
- STAT 325-0 Survey Sampling or STAT 351-0 Design and Analysis of Experiments
- STAT 350-0 Regression Analysis
- 3 additional 300-level courses offered by the department** – note: MATH 310-2, IEMS 315-0, IEMS 351-0, IEMS 365-0, or IEMS 373-0 may substitute for 1 of the 3 STAT 300-level elective courses. Only 1 substitution is permitted.
**Note: STAT 301-1, 301-2, 301-3, 302, and any 300 level electives being used for the Data Science minor cannot be used to fulfill credit requirements for the Statistics major.
Full list of major requirements and information can be found here
Expectations and coursework for Minor
Students will develop data acumen by learning how to ethically and effectively collect, process, explore, communicate, and make decisions with data and how to combine these components into an efficient data workflow.
The core courses (Data Science 1, 2, 3, and Data Visualization) are designed for students to develop the knowledge and skills needed to build an appropriate data workflow through project work. In each of these courses students will be expected to complete 1-2 weekly assignments and a final data project focused on a dataset they have sourced. Students should be prepared to dedicate approximately 5-9 hours per week outside of class to course work.
Declaring the Data Science Minor
Advising appointments for the Data Science minor will begin in Fall 2019. More information coming soon.
Please contact email@example.comBack to top