Minoring in Data Science
Beginning Fall 2019
DATA SCIENCE MINOR
Students minoring in Data Science receive exposure to computational and applied statistical techniques. This minor provides a strong foundation for students preparing for employment in the data economy or graduate study. 6 courses are required to complete the minor.
MINOR REQUIREMENTS (6 Units)
- 1 introductory course*: STAT 202-0 Introduction to Statistics, STAT 210-0 Introductory Statistics for the Social Sciences, STAT 232-0 Applied Statistics, or approved introductory statistics, calculus, or computer science course in another department
- STAT 301-1 Data Science 1 (Fall quarter)
- STAT 301-2 Data Science 2 (Winter quarter, pre-requisite STAT 301-1)
- STAT 301-3 Data Science 3 (Spring quarter, pre-requisite STAT 301-2)
- STAT 302 Data Visualization
- 1 approved elective course relevant to the minor
*Courses used to fulfill the requirements for the Data Science Minor may not be used to fulfill the requirements for another major/minor. You will need to take an approved replacement course to satisfy the credit requirements of the Data Science minor.
If you are or are considering majoring/minoring in Statistics, please see the Data Science Minor for Statistics Majors page for modified requirement information
Expectations and coursework
Students will develop data acumen by learning how to ethically and effectively collect, process, explore, communicate, and make decisions with data and how to combine these components into an efficient data workflow.
The core courses (Data Science 1, 2, 3, and Data Visualization) are designed for students to develop the knowledge and skills needed to build an appropriate data workflow through project work. In each of these courses students will be expected to complete 1-2 weekly assignments and a final data project focused on a dataset they have sourced. Students should be prepared to dedicate approximately 5-9 hours per week outside of class to course work.
Declaring the Data Science Minor
Advising appointments for the Data Science minor will begin in Fall 2019. More information coming soon.
Please contact email@example.comBack to top