Minor in Statistics
Students who complete the minor in statistics receive serious exposure to probability theory, statistical estimation theory, statistical analysis, and the design of statistical data collection. Students choosing to minor in statistics are required to complete 6 courses.
Minor Requirements (6 units)
- 1 introductory course*: STAT 202-0 Introduction to Statistics, STAT 210-0 Introductory Statistics for the Social Sciences, or STAT 232-0 Applied Statistics
- STAT 320-1 Statistical Methods 1
- STAT 320-2 Statistical Methods 2
- STAT 320-3 Statistical Methods 3
- STAT 325-0 Survey Sampling or STAT 351-0 Design and Analysis of Experiments
- STAT 350-0 Regression Analysis or ECON 381-2 Econometrics
*Students with a score of 4 or a 5 on the AP Statistics exam may receive credit for STAT 202-0 and thus do not need to take an introductory course.
Students must also take mathematics courses to prepare themselves for the 300 level statistics courses included in the minor.
Pre/Co-requisites for the 300 level courses in the Statistics Minor
- MATH 220-0 Differential Calculus of One-Variable Functions, MATH 224-0 Integral Calculus of One-Variable Functions
- MATH 212-0 Single Variable Calculus I, MATH 213-0 Single Variable Calculus II, MATH 214-0 Single Variable Calculus III
- MATH 230-0 Differential Calculus of Multivariable Functions
- MATH 234-0 Multiple Integration and Vector Calculus
- MATH 240-0 Linear Algebra
Or the MATH 281 series - Accelerated Mathematics for ISP
Or the MATH 285 series - Accelerated Mathematics for MMSS
Or the MATH 290 series - MENU: Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus
Or the MATH 291 series - MENU: Intensive Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus
- Contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies
Ready to declare your minor in Statistics?
- Declaration of Minor forms are available at the Department of Statistics front office located at 2006 Sheridan Rd. Typical business hours are Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm, please call 847-491-3974 to confirm the office is open prior to dropping by
- Schedule your advising appointment with the Director of Undergraduate Studies
View the current schedule of courses.
Back to top